You’re Invited to Run the Austin Marathon
The just keep livin programs are going to be enjoying miles of Austin’s unique neighborhoods, famous landmarks, and be cheered on by crowds as we cross the finish line in front of the Texas State Capitol on historic Congress Ave on Sunday, February 19! There will be live music on the course and a downtown concert.
If you reach the Fundraising Milestones below, you will also be eligible to win more unique incentives:
- Raise $500 and receive a limited-edition Matthew McConaughey bobblehead and an official j.k. livin T-shirt
- Raise $1500 and receive a signed item from Matthew McConaughey
You can sign up here to start your own fundraising team or send a donation!
Round up Holiday JKL Celebrations
Just keep livin students celebrated the holidays across the nation!
Some of our programs celebrated by sharing a meal. Our students at Akins High School in Austin, Texas and Venice High School, in Los Angeles, California hosted a gratitude dinner to break bread and share what they were thankful for.
The devastating mass shooting at Robb Elementary in Matthew’s hometown of Uvalde, Texas, pained us deeply and spurred us to action. We While some of our other programs decided to get on their feet with a holiday dance party. Our students at Animo Inglewood High School in Inglewood, California and East Laurens High School in Dublin, Georgia got their groove on and left everything on the dance floor, ready to start the new year! Our wonderful jkl staff created these lovely spaces for our students to give thanks and share their appreciation. What a way to transition into the New Year! set up a Uvalde Relief Fund to help with grief counseling and other immediate and long-term needs of the community. We opened a JKL program at Uvalde High School in order to provide students with a safe haven and a healthy way to come together. With our partners at Converse, we set up a college scholarship for Uvalde students to Texas A&M University – Corpus Christi, the dream school of Maite Rodriguez, one of the victims of the shooting.
Young Life Weekend Adventure Camp
Our JKL program at Pinkston High School attended a two-night sleep away camp with Young Life Adventure Camp where they enjoyed a breathtaking thirty-acre lake as the backdrop to their camping experience.
From team sports and team-building activities to individual sports and games, Lakeview allowed the students to make fun memories that will last a lifetime!
Camila’s Tips: Easy Apple, Goat Cheese and Prosciutto Bites
This is the perfect recipe if you need to pull together an easy appetizer in a pinch for your next gathering!
These tasty bites are the perfect finger food, and the taste is perfection! You can’t go wrong with the combination of salty prosciutto, sweet apple, buttery rolls, and creamy goat cheese. It can be prepared the same day you’re serving or stay frozen until you’re ready to heat and eat!
This recipe checks all the boxes; easy to make, incredibly delicious, and beautifully presented on a holiday table.
• 8 oz tube of crescent rolls
• 4 oz goat cheese
• 1 honeycrisp apple, cored and sliced into very think slices
• 5 oz package of prosciutto
• Honey, for drizzling before serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a large piece of parchment paper, roll out the tube of crescent rolls and push the dough together to make one large rectangle, approximately 14″ wide and 10″ long. Use a rolling pin to smooth the dough.
- Slice 6 strips on the long side and four strips on the short, slicing the rectangle into 24 equal size squares or as close to equal as possible.
- Loosely place one square into each of the 24 muffin cup tins. The dough can cover only part of the muffin cup, just the bottom and up the side a bit.
- In each muffin tin, add a small amount of goat cheese on top of the dough until all the goat cheese is used. If you cut the 4 oz goat cheese log in half lengthwise, you will have 2 half logs. Slice each half log into 12 equal pieces, and you will have 24 pieces of goat cheese for the muffin cups.
- Take the thinly sliced apples and arrange 2 or 3 pieces into each muffin tin, apples can be higher than the muffin tin. Cutting the apple slices as needed to fit.
- Divide out the prosciutto package into 24 pieces. Depending on the package’s number of slices, you may have to cut each slice into 4 or 5 pieces. Roll the prosciutto pieces any way you like, and fill each muffin tin with a piece of prosciutto.
- If baking immediately: Place the muffin tin into the preheated 350-degree oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until the dough is golden brown.
- If prepping in the morning to bake later in the day: The muffin tin can be loosely covered and refrigerated at this point until you’re ready to bake.
- If making ahead to freeze: At this point the bites and be cooled completely, removed from the muffin tin and placed gently into a freezable container. When reheating these at a later date, preheat oven to 350 degrees and place each bite on a baking sheet. Heat for 10 minutes or until bites are heated through.
– Enjoy! Beijos Camila
Swag of The Month
Don’t Sweat It Hoodie
Try our new medium-weight pullover hoodie. So soft and comfy you will want to purchase 2 – one to wear and one as a spare (or to share). Available in dark orange with an off white screen-print.