June 2023 Newsletter
Matthew McConaughey Movie Montage
On Saturday May 6, under the beautiful Texas sky, a group of generous donors and jkl supporters watched as our founder, Matthew, discussed some of his most iconic films.
The Matthew McConaughey movie montage is one of our most popular and sought after auction items every year and winners get to enjoy a behind the scenes look at what it was like on the set of these films, how Matthew delves into a character and what he thinks of the legacy of his iconic characters.
From Dazed and Confused to How to Lose A Guy in 10 Days, Matthew’s impact as an actor on pop culture is endless. Whether he’s winning an Oscar for his role in Dallas Buyers Club or providing a unique experience for supporters of the just keep livin Foundation, we are always in awe of his commitment to excellence. It was a fabulous event, and we look forward to more Movie Montage’s in the future.
WOW Mental Health Summit
jkl students from Animo Inglewood and Manual Arts attended the WOW2023 Mental Health Summit at UCLA’s Royce Hall on May 4th. Co-hosted by Oprah Winfrey and Lisa Kudrow, the event provided a wealth of knowledge on mental health and self-understanding.
Our students had the unique opportunity to learn from distinguished speakers like U.S. Surgeon General Vivek Murthy, MD, and artist Jon Batiste. The sessions focused on universal questions of self-worth and addressed the common pressures that young people face today, especially in high-achievement settings like high school and college.
The summit discussed the importance of open conversations about mental health, debunking the associated stigma, and emphasized the significance of quality, accessible, and representative mental health services. Students were encouraged to understand their triggers, regulate them, and embrace the idea that seeking help is a powerful act of self-care. The students learned about the value of genuine connections, being present, and spending quality time with others to combat loneliness. They were reminded that strength should be redefined as love and vulnerability. This enlightening experience provided our students with invaluable insights into mental health and self-awareness, equipping them to navigate their journey with increased resilience and empowerment.
Field Day Galore!
What electric Field Days! We had our Nashville and Los Angeles programs host their events as we expand our jkl tradition and bring field day to all our cities.
In Los Angeles, we brought together our jkl programs for some fun sweat equity. This year we hosted 160+ jkl students at Huntington Park High School with incredible activations from the World Calisthenics Organization, D.B. Labs, and Los Angeles Galaxy. Our guest speaker, Wale Forester Co-Founder of Hussle Wipes, got the kids fired up to be great by implementing integrity. Can’t wait for next year!
In Nashville, we had our first annual Field Day! We had all our jkl sites come together to build community, get some physical activity and have friendly competition. Our students got a chance to get active and build roadmaps for communication and team building! This could not have been possible without the support of Nashville SC and the Nashville Predators who both hosted stations at the event.
Camila’s Tips: Vegetarian Stuffed Portobellos
Never underestimate the power of side dishes! These hearty stuffed mushrooms are bursting with flavor with a hint of spice.
This dish along with the paired serving ideas will tally in at about $20 for four servings. These Potatoes Boxty are perfect for breakfast or brunch and can even be served at dinner along with your favorite grilled fish. This is a crispy and savory way to prepare potatoes that we know you will love as much as we do!
• 4 large portobello mushrooms, cleaned
• 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 large garlic cloves, minced
• 1 red onion, thinly sliced
• 1 jalapeno or habanero, finely chopped (optional)
• 1 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilis, drained
• ½ cup cilantro, chopped
• 5 oz baby spinach and kale mix, washed
• ½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
• Salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line a small baking pan with parchment paper.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and place mushrooms upside down.
- Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes. The mushrooms will release a lot of water.
- Remove mushrooms from pan, draining the water onto the baking sheet.
- Set mushrooms aside and the pour off all the water in the baking sheet.
- While mushrooms are baking, in a skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil and add garlic, sliced onions and jalapeno pepper.
- Cook for 5 minutes until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the diced tomatoes and chopped cilantro. Stir to combine.
- Add the baby spinach and kale mixture, stir tocombine, cover, and let simmer for 2-4 minutes or until just wilted.
- Season with sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
- Reduce oven heat to 375 degrees.
- Fill the portobello mushrooms with the stuffing mixture.
- Top with grated cheddar cheese and bake in oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with your favorite sides or salad. with your favorite sandwich accompaniments.
– Enjoy! Beijos Camila
Swag of The Month
Neon Pink & Summer Vibes T-Shirt
Ready, Set, Summer! 2 cool new tee shirts to get your summer rolling.