Being healthy is not just about an active body, it’s also about an active mind. This component of our program encourages students to gain an understanding of the mind and body connection. We believe the right mindset is important to make healthy choices and exercising the mind is just as important as exercising the body. Gratitude is a powerful emotion and a potent antidote to negativity because it doesn’t depend on your life circumstances. The expression of gratitude triggers the brain to release the feel-good hormone dopamine, leading to feelings of happiness and contentment. If practiced regularly, gratitude can keep you healthier and happier – more likely to recognize what’s going right instead of always looking at the problem.
In the JKL program, 90% of students feel increased gratitud
Some wellness activities include:
- Gratitude Circle: A place to be grateful for what you have and what you’ve accomplished
- Guest Speakers: Ranging from actors and athletes to executives and fitness professionals, they inspire and inform students and elaborate on the quote.
- Positive incentives: Gear and outings such as sporting events and camping trips
- Journals: A place for students to set goals and reflect. These also include inspirational quotes.
- Community of Support: Connecting diverse students who support each other during and after the program