November 2019 Newsletter
Student Spotlight: Taliyah, Landry Walker High SchoolNew Orleans
Landry Walker High School student, Taliyah is looking forward to taking full advantage of the jkl program during her senior year!
Over the years, Taliyah has had many first time experiences like canoeing, finding potato chip substitutes, increasing her water intake and being a positive role model. New comers to jkl look up to Taliyah for motivation and accountability. She is excited to be an upper classman who inspires her peers to workout and be healthy. “It has been a joy to witness Taliyah’s growth through the JKL Program. She is always confident in herself no matter what she is doing. She always has that I can do it attitude.” –Mr Donsereaux (jkl Instructor) After high school Taliyah would like attend University of Southern Mississippi to study criminal justice and become a police officer that protects her current neighborhood. We are looking forward to seeing Taliyah thrive this year and wish her the best!
A Fun Way to Lend Your Support
Looking for a new way to support just keep livin this holiday season? We’re happy to share that we are the charitable beneficiary of some amazing products these days!
One of our wonderful JKL supporters, Rachel Miriam, is a designer who pairs up with celebrities and brands to create curated, customizable collections that benefit different nonprofits. We are honored to be receiving a portion of the proceeds from two of her current collections: Christy Carlson Romano’s “Yummy Collection” featuring personalized aprons, chef hats, oven mitts & more, and “AnnieBenton X RM,” a collection of personalized table décor to help make your parties even more chic!
In addition to a charitable donation, we will be celebrating this partnership by throwing seasonal events at our Los Angeles JKL programs – one for each holiday! Visit rachelmiriam.com to shop for a great cause!
Joint JKL Field Trip: Group Dynamix
All five of our Dallas just keep livin programs participated in a group field trip to Group Dynamix!
This fun filled adventure was a great way to connect our students from Carter, Sunset, Eastern Hills, Sam Houston and Pinkston! The outing included guided activities that are geared to improve relationships, increase camaraderie, and encourage collaboration! The students had so much fun!
FIT TIP by JZ Fitness
The desire to move more decreases in the winter so here are some tips to move more:
1) Set an alarm every hour to get up and walk. It could be a 2 minute walk. This will get you to avoid sitting for long periods of time, thereby decreasing joint stiffness and lower back pain.
2) Consider getting a step tracker app on your phone. If you see it, you can change it. To be considered active, you need at least 10,000 steps a day
3) Find an accountability partner. Classes are great for this as the same folks tend to workout at the same time each day so if you commit to any particular class time and don’t show, people will wonder where you are. But if classes aren’t your deal, then consider telling a friend or fitness enthusiast to hold you accountable to a goal you set. Perhaps that goal is to workout 3 days a week. If you schedule it on your calendar, show up for it. You are the only one who can ultimately make it happen.
Dive into the holidays with the expectation to enjoy your family and friends but make sure you move, no matter how many holiday parties are on the calendar. Because motion is lotion to the joints and to the mind!
Beller Nutrition Recipe of the Month
Rachel Beller MS, RDN
Popcorn can be enjoyed more places than just the ballpark and the movie theatre. It’s quick and easy, loaded with fiber, and is low in calories! Try out these different combos to pack in additional nutritional value, and see if you like it best sweet, spicy, or sprinkled with a bit of salt You can even sprinkle on some nutritional yeast which has a cheesy flavor and is packed with protein— just 2 tablespoons has 6 grams of plant based protein. These are just a few topping options and the possibilities are endless. Explore by going through your pantry and find some toppings you like best!
• Spray with olive or avocado oil spray (non-aerosol) + heavy shakes of nutritional yeast + pinch of sea salt
• Spray with olive or avocado oil spray (non-aerosol) + 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast + pinch of turmeric + pinch of paprika + pinch of sea salt
• Spray with olive or avocado oil spray (non-aerosol) + 1 tablespoon cacao powder + pinch of sea salt + pinch of cinnamon
Spray with olive or avocado oil spray (non-aerosol) + pinch of sea salt + pinch of cinnamon
Looking for a dessert option this that isn’t too sweet or full of refined sugar? We’ve got just the recipe for you — These Cinnamon Baked Apples with Nuts + Coconut Sugar definitely satisfy any sweet tooth, and require such little prep work that you’ll be making them all holiday long (and beyond!)
• 4 organic apples
• 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
• 1/4 cup coconut sugar
• 2 tbsp organic butter
• 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1/2 cup water
For the Recipe Click Here.