October 2022 Newsletter
UT Football and JKL
On Saturday, September 3rd and Saturday, September 17th, our jkl programs from East Austin College Prep and Akins High School in Austin got to enjoy the UT game live at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium thanks to our amazing founders, Matthew and Camila McConaughey who gave their suite so the jkl students and staff could enjoy the games!
It was a first-time experience for some of our students and one to remember! Hook ‘EM!
Soccer at the Rose Bowl and JKL
On Saturday, September 24th, our jkl students from Huntington Park High School in Los Angeles were gifted twenty tickets to the Mexico vs. Colombia soccer game at the Rose Bowl from the wonderful folks at Expedia!
The kids had a blast cheering on their favorite teams and creating new memories with their peers.
Camila’s Tips: Chinese Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup
Fall is here and it’s time for cozy soups!
If you’re craving a tasty and hearty soup that comes together in about 30 minutes? Look no further…
• 1 tbsp peeled, chopped fresh ginger
• 1 bone-in chicken breast or fillet
• 1-inch fresh ginger, peeled and finely diced
• 1-quart chicken broth
• 1 can creamed corn
• 1 splash sesame oil
• 2 tbsp cornstarch
• 2 eggs
• 2 green onions chopped *optional
- In a small bowl, com1. In a small pot place chicken breast and cover with water.
- Add fresh ginger to the water.
- Cover the pot, bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Once chicken is fully cooked, save the stock in the pot and the ginger.
- Transfer this to a larger soup pot.
- Shred the chicken and discard the bone in using bone-in chicken breast.
- Over medium heat and in the large soup pot, combine the reserved chicken and ginger stock and 1 quart of chicken broth.
- Add the can of creamed corn and splash of sesame oil.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add shredded chicken and bring back to boil.
- In a small heat proof bowl and the cornstarch with small amount of chicken water to form thin paste.
- Drizzle into the soup, mixing thoroughly. This will slightly thicken the soup.
- In a large bowl, beat 2 eggs with a dash of chicken water, then drizzle it into the pot very slowly from about 6 inches above the pot. Slowly stirring.
- Garnish with chopped spring onions to serve.
– Enjoy! Beijos Camila
Swag of The Month
You will be the coolest person at the pumpkin’ patch when you sport this plaid flannel-lined shacket. It’s the perfect fall addition to your wardrobe.