January 2022 Newsletter
JKL students are LOVING Sing 2! Los Angeles members scored an invite to the film’s premiere, where they got to watch it under the stars outside at the famed Greek Theater.
The kids enjoyed a plethora of fun treats like corn dogs and churros, as well as glimpses of stars, including our Founder Matthew McConaughey, reprising his role as the eternally optimistic koala, Buster Moon. 50 JKL students and staff in Nashville were also treated to a special screening thanks to another one of the film’s stars, Reese Witherspoon and her husband, JKL Board Member Jim Toth. They got to safely gather in their very own theater and view the film before it was released. Thank you Reese and Jim! Check out Sing 2 in a theater near you!
TikTok Hosts Career Panel with JKL Students
We are beyond grateful to the amazing team at TikTok for hosting a career panel for our just keep livin student and teachers.
This opportunity allowed for our students to interact with professionals in different areas from TikTok to learn about what it takes to prepare for the fundamentals of working at their organization as well as what it takes to be successful in the world of work in general. Some of the skills touched upon were “Good Partnership Tips,” resume building and an overview of the beyond the scenes at their organization! Our students thoroughly enjoyed this interactive and informative session!
Carver JKL Program Partners with the Houston Texans
Even on the weekends, the JKL program at Carver High School is working!
On Sunday, December 5th, the program volunteered to pass out game day gate giveaways to all the Texan fans attending the Houston Texans/Indianapolis Colts game. The students were thrilled to be at NRG Stadium and be a part of all the excitement!
Carter Students Speak Up
Students at Carter High School in Dallas had the opportunity to attend a Town Hall Meeting hosted by Dak Prescott’s Faith Fight Finish Foundation.
The town hall consisted of local law enforcement, high school students and parents, mental health professionals and community leaders. Participants engaged in a great dialogue and shared ideas to help bring unity between law enforcement and the communities they serve.
Camila’s Tips: Easiest Roasted Zucchini Ever
Looking for a super easy, healthy, and tasty side dish for your dinner table?
We tried this in the WOT Test Kitchen a couple of months ago and have been making this dish on our regular rotation ever since. Give it a try and we promise this one will become a regular in your kitchen too.
• 2 lbs frozen brussels sprouts
• 4 zucchini
• 1 tsp Italian or Herbs de Provence seasonings
• Extra virgin olive oil
• Salt and pepper
• 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Trim ends of zucchini and slice in half. Slice each half in half and the remaining strips in half one more time. One zucchini will give you 8 strips or a total of 32 strips using all the zucchini for this recipe.
3. Place all the zucchini strips in a roasting pan. Season with salt, pepper, and Italian or Herbs de Provence seasonings.
4. Drizzle the extra virgin olive oil over the zucchini strips and with clean hands, gently toss and rotate the zucchini to get an even distribution of seasonings.
5. Place roasting pan in oven and cook for 20 minutes.
6. Remove pan from oven and using a spatula gently, move the zucchini strips in the pan to expose zucchini that hasn’t browned. Return roasting pan to the oven and cook for another 20 minutes until nicely browned.
7. Using two spatulas or large spoons, remove the zucchini strips from the pan and plate on a serving dish.
8. Sprinkle the finely shredded Parmesan cheese on top, the heat from the zucchini will melt the cheese.
9. Serve immediately.
– Enjoy! Beijos Camila
Swag of The Month
Is it a shirt? Is it a jacket? However you decide to wear it, it’s a great layering piece to add to your JKL gear. Navy canvas with tan and gray plaid flannel lining embroidered with just keep livin and Pops.