August 2022 Newsletter
Teacher Training 2022
We were thrilled to be back in person in Los Angeles to host our annual Teacher Training!
Our jkl instructors from our forty-two programs gathered at the Marina Del Rey Hotel for meaningful conversations, shared best practices, discussed areas of need, and made renewed commitments of action! Our mindset has a powerful impact on how successful our programs can be and our amazing instructors are ready and excited to make the greatest impact on the lives of the students we serve.
Dodgers Summer College & Career Accelerator
The Los Angeles Dodgers Foundation held a Summer College and Career Accelerator event with the USC College Advising Corps.
Our Hunting Park just keep livin program brought some students out for a fun day in the sun at Dodger stadium. The students heard from first-generation college students and learned about their diverse college experiences.
The USC College Advising Corps team did a great job of answering questions, motivating students to get ready to apply for college, and provided fun breakout groups. The event ended with the students getting a chance to watch the afternoon Dodgers game against the Washington Nationals. Thank you, Los Angeles Dodgers Foundation, for an awesome summer day event!
Camila’s Tips: Honey Ginger Glazed Chicken and Carrots
This is one of those recipes that is great as an easy weekday meal, or can impress guests at a dinner party.
The flavor combinations in this Honey Ginger Glazed Chicken and Carrots bring together savory and sweet! A great tip for this recipe, if you have a cast iron skillet or the equivalent, you could easily make this a one pot / pan meal (who doesn’t love less clean up?!)
• 6-8 chicken thighs with bone in and skin on
• 2 tsp sea salt
• 2 tsp cumin
• 2 tsp chili powder
• 2 tsp smoked paprika
• 2 tsp garlic powder
• 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
• 1/4 cup honey
• 2 tbsp cider vinegar
• 3 tbsp fresh minced ginger
• 6-8 whole carrots, peeled and cut into sticks (we used multicolor)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder and cayenne pepper (optional). Stir to combine well and season the chicken with the rub on both sides.
- Place chicken in an ovenproof baking dish or in an ovenproof skillet (making this a one pot). Roast chicken in oven for 40 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.
- Boil carrot sticks in salted water for about 10 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the honey, cider vinegar, and fresh minced ginger.
- After the 40 minutes, remove the chicken from the oven and brush with half of the honey ginger mixture and return to oven.
- Turn the temperature up to 475 degrees F and roast until the skin begins to crisp, about 5 minutes. Watch the chicken as it could brown quicker or take a little longer depending on your oven.
- Remove the chicken from the pan, place in serving dish and cover. If using an ovenproof skillet, place the skillet on top of your cooktop. Otherwise, transfer all the pan juices from the roasting pan to a skillet to finish off the carrots.
- Add the cooked carrots to the pan and add the remaining honey ginger glaze. Stir to combine over medium heat until carrots are glazed.
- Serve the chicken with the glazed carrots and brush any juices from the chicken on top.
– Enjoy! Beijos Camila
Full recipe by Women of Today »
Swag of The Month
Pack It Up!
Whether heading to school, the trails or flyin’ the friendly skies, this backpack will hold everything you need. Comes in black or blue and embroidered with the just keep livin logo.